- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: 4K Ultra HD
- SKU: AV380
- UPC: 760137101154
- Street Date: 04/26/22
- PreBook Date: 03/22/22
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Sci Fi/Fantasy
- Run Time: 129 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1995
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot:
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Brad Pitt
- Actor: Bruce Willis
- Actor: Madeleine Stowe
- Actor: David Morse
- Actor: Christopher Plummer
- Director: Terry Gilliam
- Director: Terry Gilliam
12 Monkeys UHD
Terry Gilliam's Sci-Fi Classic Makes It's Debut on 4K Ultra HD Disc!
- List Price: $49.95
- Your Price: $49.95
- In Stock: 2118
You must login to place orders.
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY Following the commercial and critical success of The Fisher King, Terry Gilliam next feature would turn to science fiction and a screenplay by Janet and David Peoples (Blade Runner, Unforgiven) inspired by Chris Marker's classic short film La Jetée. In 1996, a deadly virus is unleashed by a group calling themselves the Army of the Twelve Monkeys, destroying much of the world's population and forcing survivors underground. In 2035, prisoner James Cole (Bruce Willis, Die Hard) is chosen to go back in time and help scientists in their search for a cure. Featuring an Oscar-nominated turn by Brad Pitt (Fight Club) as mental patient Jeffrey Goines, Twelve Monkeys would become Gilliam's most successful film and is now widely regarded as a sci-fi classic. Arrow Films are proud to present the film in a stunning new restoration.
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, approved by director Terry Gilliam
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 stereo soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam and producer Charles Roven
- The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, feature-length making-of documentary by Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe (Lost in La Mancha)
- The Film Exchange with Terry Gilliam, a 1996 interview with Gilliam and critic Jonathan Romney, recorded at the London Film Festival
- Appreciation by Ian Christie, author of Gilliam on Gilliam
- The Twelve Monkeys Archives
- Theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Nathan Rabin and Ian Christie
- The first Academy Award Nominated performance by Brad Pitt, who won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 2020
- Ranked as one of the all-time best sci-fi films by Screenrant, IGN, Looper, Reader's Digest, AV Club, Rotten Tomatoes and dozens of others
Arrow has once again stepped up to the plate and provided a release with solid technical merits and some appealing supplements. Highly recommended.
Arrow Video's new [12 Monkeys] looks and sounds great. If you're a Twelve Monkeys fan, this is the best incarnation of the movie out there
—Under the Radar
Arrow Video's presentation of the film comes sourced from a brand new 4K transfer from the original 35mm camera negative, with color grading supervised and approved by Terry Gilliam. It's absolutely gorgeous
—The Digital Bits
12 Monkeys Is the Apocalypse Movie We Need Right Now
12 Monkeys now seems not only visionary but prophetic; the dates and specifics of its pandemic may not match up with ours, but the emotions and psychology do.
The best version of the film on the market.
—Colin Jacobson, DVD Movie Guide
This home video iteration of 12 Monkeys is as beautiful and accurate presentation of this 35mm lensed film that has been produced.
—A.W. Kautzer, The Movie Isle
This 4K release grants the film a noticeable step-up in quality in what was an already beautiful Blu-ray release from Arrow.
—Brandon A. Duhamel, Theater Byte
The Digital Bits
Terry Gilliam...delivered the biggest box office hit of his career with a story about a time-traveling man who hopes to find the key to humanity’s survival. Highly recommended
—Tim Salmons, The Digital Bits
...at once haunting, humorous, nerve-wracking, and ambitious—one of Gilliam’s best.
—James Kendrick, Qnetwork
Terry Gilliam’s prescient and visionary 12 Monkeys, which boasts what may be Bruce Willis’s finest performance, gets a sterling UHD upgrade from Arrow Video.
—Niles Schwartz, Slant Magazine
12 Monkeys is Terry Gilliam’s most successful film, financially. I think it might also be his best artistic achievement.
—Kent Conrad, Cinema Sentries
...widely regarded as a sci-fi classic...it stands as an engrossing piece of science fiction from one of the most distinct filmmakers of our time. This is a terrific release for longtime fans and newcomers alike.
—Dillon Gonzales, Geek Vibes Nation
If you’re into dystopian, post apocalyptic sci-fi movies, and appreciate the irony that this movie now has in a post pandemic world, then you should definitely pick this one up.
—Jake Parker, Modern Horrors
...a banger, filled with Gilliam’s distinctive imagery, one of the first and best cuckoo-bananas Brad Pitt performances, and some of the best acting of Bruce Willis’ career. (
—Jason Bailey, The Playlist