- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: Blu-ray
- SKU: AV258
- UPC: 760137338482
- Street Date: 04/21/20
- PreBook Date: 03/17/20
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 95 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2018
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: Russian
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Aleksandr Kuznetsov
- Actor: Vitaliy Khaev
- Actor: Evgeniya Kregzhde
- Director: Kirill Sokolov
- Producer: Sofiko Kiknavelidze
- Director: Kirill Sokolov
- Producers: Sofiko Kiknavelidze
Why Don't You Just Die!
- List Price: $29.95
- Your Price: $29.95
- In Stock: 22
You must login to place orders.
Shades of early Tarantino, Edgar Wright and Sam Raimi abound in this violent, stylish and riotously entertaining slice of family life, Moscow style, described as "a splatterpunk action comedy drenched in gleefully dark Russian humor" (The Hollywood Reporter) and "an amazing first feature from a filmmaker to watch" (Screen Anarchy). Matvey (Aleksandr Kuznetsov) has just one objective: to gain entry to his girlfriend's parents' apartment and kill her father Andrey (Vitaliy Khaev) with a hammer to restore her honor. But all is not as it initially seems, and Matvey's attempts to bludgeon the family patriarch to death don't quite go to plan as Andrey proves a more formidable - not to mention ruthless - opponent than he anticipated... and Matvey, for his part, proves stubbornly unwilling to die. Making his feature debut, writer/director Kirill Sokolov presents a rousing tale of family, modern relationships and the dark places they can take you to when things turn sour. Featuring a soundtrack that veers between Ennio Morricone-esque western riffs and toe-tappingly catchy pop numbers, Why Don't You Just Die! delivers laughs, shocking twists and copious quantities of blood and gore, and establishes Sokolov as one of cinema's brightest rising stars.
- High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
- Original lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles
- Brand new interview with author and critic Kim Newman, exploring Why Don't You Just Die! within the context of the long-standing tradition of single location cinema
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes footage from rehearsals and the film set
- Four short films by Kirill Sokolov: Could Be Worse, The Outcome, The Flame and the award-winning Sisyphus is Happy (Best Director and Gold Frame awards, 2013 Unprecedented Cinema International Festival of Short Film)
- Theatrical trailer
- Kirill Sokolov's complete original storyboard for the film (BD-ROM content)
- Reversible sleeve featuring two choices of artwork
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing by Neil Mitchell
The body count nearly matches the cast list in this bloody but inventive festival favorite from first-time Russian director Kirill Sokolov.
There's a youthful, raw kinetic energy in full breakout mode and it will serve Sokolov well to carry that through his burgeoning career. Why Don't You Just Die is an undeniable crowd pleaser.
I'm not sure if Sokolov meant this to be some kind of critique of Russian culture, but he ended up making a film that should universally appeal to those with blacker than black senses of humor. Technical merits are first rate, and the supplemental package very appealing. Highly recommended.
Entertaining Russian import Why Don't You Just Die! offers stylized violence and action, and plenty of dark comedy. Fans of Quentin Tarantino, Guy Ritchie and other genre filmmakers will enjoy this movie, which is gifted a nice U.S. release from Arrow Video. Highly Recommended.