- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: BLU-RAY DISC
- SKU: AV371
- UPC: 760137664697
- Street Date: 10/19/21
- PreBook Date: 08/31/21
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Sci Fi/Fantasy
- Run Time: 137 mins
- Number of Discs: 3
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1984
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Alicia Witt
- Actor: Brad Dourif
- Actor: Dean Stockwell
- Actor: Everett McGill
- Actor: Freddie Jones
- Actor: Jack Nance
- Actor: José Ferrer
- Actor: Jürgen Prochnow
- Actor: Kenneth McMillan
- Actor: Linda Hunt
- Actor: Kyle MacLachlan
- Actor: Max von Sydow
- Actor: Patrick Stewart
- Actor: Paul L. Smith
- Actor: Richard Jordan
- Actor: Sean Young
- Actor: Sian Phillips
- Actor: Sting
- Actor: Virginia Madsen
- Director: David Lynch
- Director: David Lynch
Dune [Limited Edition Steelbook]
A World Beyond Your Dreams. A Film Beyond Your Imagination. David Lynch's Masterpiece Fully Restored in 4K.
- List Price: $59.95
- Your Price: $59.95
- In Stock: 94
You must login to place orders.
A PLACE BEYOND YOUR DREAMS. A MOVIE BEYOND YOUR IMAGINATION. Following a notorious aborted attempt by Alejandro Jodorowsky in the 1970s, Frank Herbert's bestselling sci-fi epic Dune finally made it to the big screen as the third film by emerging surrealist wunderkind David Lynch, featuring an all-star cast that includes several of Lynch's regular collaborators. The year is 10,191, and four planets are embroiled in a secret plot to wrest control of the Spice Melange, the most precious substance in the universe and found only on the planet Arrakis. A feud between two powerful dynasties, House Atreides and House Harkonnen, is manipulated from afar by ruling powers that conspire to keep their grip on the spice. As the two families clash on Arrakis, Duke Atreides' son Paul (Kyle MacLachlan, in his screen debut) finds himself at the center of an intergalactic war and an ancient prophecy that could change the galaxy forever. Though its initial reception ensured that Lynch largely eschewed mainstream filmmaking for the rest of his career, Dune has since been rightly re-evaluated as one of the most startlingly original and visionary science fiction films of the 1980s. Its astonishing production design and visual effects can now be appreciated anew in this spellbinding 4K restoration, accompanied by hours of comprehensive bonus features.
- 4K DUAL FORMAT STEELBOOK CONTENTS
- Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
- Limited edition SteelBook packaging featuring original theatrical artwork
- Double-sided foldout poster with two choices of original theatrical artwork
- DISCS ONE & TWO - FEATURE & EXTRAS (BLU-RAY + 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) and High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
- Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
- Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
- Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
- Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
- Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
- Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
- Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
- Eleven deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
- Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
- Theatrical trailers and TV spots
- Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos
- DISC THREE – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY)
- Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
- Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
- Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
- Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
- Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
- Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker
- *** EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE ***
- Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Sound
- Dialog sampled for dozens of rock, pop, and EDM records
- Releasing just ahead of Warner Brothers $165-million remake with massive publicity campaign
- Source material for the hit documentary, Jodorowsky's Dune
- Directed by cult movie legend David Lynch
The actors seem hypnotized by the spell Lynch has woven around them--especially the lustrous Francesca Annis, who whispers her lines with the urgency of erotic revelation - reminding us what movies can achieve when they have heart as well as mind.
—Richard Corliss, Time Magazine
As you would expect from visionary director David Lynch, it is a movie of often staggering visual power, the most ambitious science fiction film since '2001'
—Paul Attanasio, Washington Post
David Lynch is a brilliant filmmaker who also flies in the face of the status quo, delivering challenging tales in bizarre fashion. That is what makes his DUNE such an accomplishment
—Alex Maidy, JoBlo's Movie Network
Dazzling work yet again by Arrow, presenting a faultless 4K scan of near flawless film elements. It's an invaluable disc for prop and/or costume makers, while for home A/V fanatics, a thoroughly precise and accurate image that doesn't look like the early '80s anymore.
Arrow have delivered the good once again for this cult favorite providing a reference catalogue restoration on 4K packaged with a treasure trove of collectibles and bonus features. This is a must for fans and collectors.
This Arrow 4K UHD release sports solid technical merits and Arrow's typically nice array of supplemental material and handsome packaging. It's a very nice organic looking presentation that should please fans. Recommended.
Arrow Video’s new 4K Ultra HD release's remastered presentation represents a quantum leap beyond all previous releases on disc. It’s therefore easy to recommend for fans of Dune.
—The Digital Bits
A handsome new 4K edition from Arrow Films that includes audio commentaries, featurettes, deleted scenes, new and archival interviews, theatrical trailers and TV spots, and a booklet of interviews and essays. It never lacks ambition or style.
Fascinating, creative, and wildly ambitious... Returning to Dune in 4K is a treat, and Arrow have put together a hell of a package to celebrate Lynch’s swing at a blockbuster epic.
Arrow Films has produced an incredible home entertainment release with a beautiful presentation offering a very film-like appearance, with nice notes of naturals film grain. One might think the upgraded resolution would show the seams of the special effects — many of which have naturally dated — but the deeper contrast and detail only accentuates the film's great artistry.
—Edge Media Network
The picture quality is par none for the film; for the first time ever in a 4k scan from the original camera negative giving you the best quality image ever. You need to pick this edition of the film up. Arrow has once more proven why they are the go to source for films like this
All the good stuff in here
—Dune [Limited Edition Steelbook] [4K Ultra HD] **, Screaming Cinema