- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV451
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137104575
- Street Date: 06/21/22
- PreBook Date: 05/17/22
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 96 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1978
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot:
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Kay Lenz
- Actor: Shelley Winters
- Actor: Tony Bill
- Actor: Kathryn Grant
- Actor: Morgan Fairchild
- Actor: Morgan Brittany
- Actor: Robert Hays
- Actor: Tisa Farrow
- Actor: Deborah Ryan
- Actor: Talia Balsam
- Actor: Michael Talbott
- Actor: Susan Duvall
- Director: Robert Day
- Director: Robert Day
The Initiation Of Sarah
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 1900
You must login to place orders.
WELCOME TO HELL WEEK! Satantic secrets and telekenetic terror combine in this classic made-for-TV horror movie directed by Hammer Films alumnus Robert Day (She), from a story co-written by Tom Holland (Fright Night), featuring cinematography by Ric Waite (48 Hrs). Shy misfit Sarah Goodwin (Kay Lenz, House), has a secret gift: the ability to control -- and destroy -- with her mind. When Sarah goes off to college with her more outgoing and popular sister, Patty (Morgan Brittany, Sundown: The Vampire In Retreat), their plans to join the most prestigious sorority on campus are scuttled by snobby president, Jennifer Lawrence (Morgan Fairchild, Phantom of the Mall). Separated from her sister, Sarah is taken in by a rival, less popular sorority, whose mysterious house mother, Mrs. Hunter (Shelley Winters, The Night of the Hunter), is harboring a secret of her own: a scheme to harness Sarah's terrifying power for revenge. Betrayed by Patty, humiliated by Jennifer, it can only be a matter of time before Sorority Hell Week erupts in flame! Making its Blu-Ray debut with an all-new restoration by Arrow Films from the original camera negative, The Initiation of Sarah has never looked better and comes packed with all new bonus materials.
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
- Original lossless mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by TV Movie expert Amanda Reyes
- Welcome to Hell Week: A Pledge’s Guide to the Initiation of Sarah, a brand new appreciation by critic Stacie Ponder and Queer Horror programmer Anthony Hudson, hosts of the Gaylords of Darkness podcast, celebrating the film through a queer feminist lens
- Cracks in the Sisterhood: Second Wave Feminism and The Initiation of Sarah, a brand new visual essay by film critic and historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
- The Intimations of Sarah, a brand new interview with film critic Samantha McLaren looking at witchcraft, empowerment, TV movies, and telekinetic shy girls post Carrie
- The Initiation of Tom, a brand new interview with Tom Holland on this his first film writing credit
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Luke Insect
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY fully illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Lindsay Hallam and Alexandra West
- Classic 1970s Cast in this Creepy TV Movie from the creator of Fright Night
- Spawned a popular remake
a fun little throwback.
It's CARRIE vs. sorority bitches n' witch's in this small screen supernatural thriller with a dorm-full of memorable faces
—Cool Ass Cinema
Making its Blu-Ray debut with an all-new restoration by Arrow Films from the original camera negative, The Initiation of Sarah has never looked better and comes packed with all new bonus materials.
Though quite tame in comparison to the theatrical horror films of the late ’70s, The Initiation of Sarah still manages to get some effective scares and be a quite entertaining watch with a cast full of familiar names and faces. It is great to see a film like The Initiation of Sarah get the respect it deserves on Blu-ray.
—Phil Bailey, Ink19
The Initiation of Sarah is a perfect reason to once more spend the night at home.
—Joe Corey, Inside Pulse
For anyone on the fence about The Initiation of Sarah, Brian De Palma’s Carrie would be a good barometer for figuring out if this film is for you.
—Rachel Bellwoar, Comicon
...the best way to experience terror was to slowly build the tension to the exhilarating crescendo. The Initiation of Sarah is a perfect example of this!
—Jason Lockard, Classic Cinema Magazine
The Initiation of Sarah is a highly entertaining film that fans of 1970’s made-for-TV movies should thoroughly enjoy.
—Michael Den Boer, 10K Bullets
The Blu-ray comes with better than expected visuals...and a mix of bonus materials.
—Colin Jacobson, DVD Movie Guide
...Shelley Winters was delightfully over-the-top.
—The Movieman, Movieman's Guide
The 1970s were arguably the Golden Age of TV horror, with The Initiation of Sarah being one of its cult classics.
—Josey, Free Kittens Movie Guide
The Initiation Of Sarah is one of the best made-for-television movies we have seen yet with its strong production value and distinct sense of unease throughout.
—Dillon Gonzales, Geek Vibes Nation
It is all a bit silly and a whole lot camp, but there is quite a bit of charm to The Initiation of Sarah. Morgan Fairchild and Shelley Winters are clearly having fun and they make the whole film worth watching.
—Mat Brewster, Cinema Sentries
RECOMMENDED, especially if you like female empowerment and witchcraft films and shows.
—Paul Rudoff, The Raffon
The Initiation of Sarah certainly deserves the label as one of the more effective/ memorable TV horror films of the 1970s.
One of the most enduring made-for-TV horror films of the ‘70s…
—Gabe Powers, Genre Grinder
...it’s quite fun and very watchable.
—Brian M. Sammons, Hellnotes
The Initiation of Sarah is different enough from Carrie to be worth your time, and is strong enough on its own terms to deserve the treatment it’s received with its arrival on Blu-ray in Arrow Video’s Special Edition.
—Jeff Burnham, Film Monthly