- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV169
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137154884
- Street Date: 09/04/18
- PreBook Date: 07/31/18
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 127 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1975
- Region Code: 1
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: Italian
Cast & Crew
- David Hemmings
- Daria Nicolodi
- Gabriele Lavia
- Director: Dario Argento
- Director: Dario Argento
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 759
You must login to place orders.
YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT!!! From Dario Argento, maestro of the macabre and the man behind some of the greatest excursions in Italian horror (Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), comes Deep Red - the ultimate giallo movie. One night, musician Marcus Daly (David Hemmings, Blow-Up), looking up from the street below, witnesses the brutal axe murder of a woman in her apartment. Racing to the scene, Marcus just manages to miss the perpetrator... or does he? As he takes on the role of amateur sleuth, Marcus finds himself ensnared in a bizarre web of murder and mystery where nothing is what it seems... Aided by a throbbing score from regular Argento-collaborators Goblin, Deep Red (aka Profondo Rosso and The Hatchet Murders) is a hallucinatory fever dream of a giallo punctuated by some of the most astonishing set-pieces the sub-genre has to offer.
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original Italian soundtrack in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0 and lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, and original English soundtrack in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0*
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Audio commentary by filmmaker and Argento expert Thomas Rostock
- Introduction to the film by Claudio Simonetti of Goblin
- Profondo Giallo, a new visual essay by Michael Mackenzie featuring an in-depth appreciation of Deep Red, its themes and its legacy
- Rosso Recollections: Dario Argento's Deep Genius - the Deep Red director on the creation of a giallo masterpiece
- The Lady in Red: Daria Nicolodi Remembers Profondo Rosso
- Music to Murder For! Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red
- Profondo Rosso: From Celluloid to Shop - a tour of the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi
- Italian theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- * The English audio track has some portions of English audio missing. English audio for these sections was either never recorded or has been lost. As such, these sequences are presented with Italian audio, subtitled in English.
Deep Red is essential Argento, and with strong AV presentation and host of context-providing bonus materials, Arrow's latest release of the film offers really good value.
—Under the Radar
A legendary movie for sure. The score is amazing…the kills are graphic… So many features!
A knockout new 4K from Arrow Video – Argento loads the picture with eccentric supporting characters, bold, weird compositions, and genuinely grisly (and frankly inspired) kills; the result is one of the best films of his most fruitful period.
This is another great looking boxed set featuring new and original artwork. There’s also another meaty 58 page book, lobby card replicas and a two-sided poster. Put all this together and you’ve got the ultimate release of the ultimate giallo film.
—Free Kittens Movie Guide
Argento's penchant for striking visuals, exciting camera-work, intricately arranged murder set-pieces and brutality are on full display here, but turned up to 11. This is an absolutely gorgeous, loaded-to-the-gills limited-edtion 4K UHD release.
Dario Argento’s stylish direction shines as bright as the red blood here. How does the movie look? Both cuts have been given a 4K restoration from the original negatives and the results are splendid. The rich colors look more striking than ever in 4K.
Deep Red is the bridge between Argento’s animal-themed giallo and supernatural based films… it still packs plenty of moments of mayhem that approach high art.
—Bands About Movies
Regarded as one of Argento’s most celebrated works, it looks stunning in Arrow’s 4K.
—Film Score Monthly
Deep Red is a truly stunning achievement that proves to be a high benchmark in the giallo horror subgenre.
—Deep Red [BLU-RAY], Geek Vibes Nation
Bloody fingerprints leap off the screen and crushed velvet looks good enough to touch in a restoration that looks just as good in your living room as it did on theater screens in 1975.
—Deep Red [BLU-RAY], Gaming Shogun
Deep Red is widely regarded as Argento’s one of Argento’s best films and its not hard to understand why
Deep Red is unbelievably suspenseful. Argento was at the height of his creative output.
The picture quality is unreal! It is absolutely amazing!
The pinnacle of the genre and one of the finest in [Argento's] filmography.
—Geek Vibes Nation