- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: 4K Ultra HD
- SKU: AV388
- UPC: 760137723998
- Street Date: 10/26/21
- PreBook Date: 09/21/21
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Mystery/Thriller
- Run Time: 127 mins
- Number of Discs: 2
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1975
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: Italian
Cast & Crew
- Actor: David Hemmings
- Actor: Daria Nicolodi
- Actor: Gabriele Lavia
- Actor: Macha Meril
- Actor: Giuliana Calandra
- Director: Dario Argento
- Director: Dario Argento
Deep Red UHD [Limited Edition]
You will never forget it!
- List Price: $59.95
- Your Price: $59.95
- In Stock: 2920
You must login to place orders.
From Dario Argento, maestro of the macabre and the man behind some of the greatest excursions in Italian horror (Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), comes Deep Red - the ultimate giallo movie. One night, musician Marcus Daly (David Hemmings, Blow Up), looking up from the street below, witnesses the brutal axe murder of a woman in her apartment. Racing to the scene, Marcus just manages to miss the perpetrator... or does he? As he takes on the role of amateur sleuth, Marcus finds himself ensnared in a bizarre web of murder and mystery where nothing is what it seems... Aided by a throbbing score from regular Argento collaborators Goblin, Deep Red (aka Profondo Rosso and The Hatchet Murders) is a hallucinatory fever dream of a giallo punctuated by some of the most astonishing set-pieces the sub-genre has to offer.
- 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- New 4K restoration of both the original 127-minute Italian version and the 105-minute export version from the original negative by Arrow Films
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentations of both versions in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring originally and newly commissioned artwork by Obviously Creative
- Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Alan Jones and Mikel J. Koven, and a new essay by Rachael Nisbet
- Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Obviously Creative
- Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproduction artcards
- DISC 1 (4K ULTRA-HD BLU-RAY) – DEEP RED: ORIGINAL VERSION
- Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks*
- Optional lossless 5.1 Italian soundtrack
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- New audio commentary by critics Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson
- Archival audio commentary by Argento expert Thomas Rostock
- Almost three hours of new interviews with members of the cast and crew
- Italian trailer
- Arrow Video 2018 trailer
- Image galleries
- DISC 2 (4K ULTRA-HD BLU-RAY) – DEEP RED: EXPORT VERSION
- Restored original lossless mono English soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Archival introduction to the film by Claudio Simonetti of Goblin
- Profondo Giallo – an archival visual essay by Michael Mackenzie featuring an in-depth appreciation of Deep Red, its themes and its legacy
- Archival interviews with Dario Argento, Daria Nicolodi, Claudio Simonetti and long-time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi
- US theatrical trailer
- *The English audio track on this original cut has some portions of English audio missing. English audio for these sections was never recorded for these scenes. As such, they are presented with Italian audio, subtitled in English.
- The greatest slasher film from the Italian master of horror, Dario Argento
- Certified Fresh with a 96% score on the tomatometer
Deep Red is essential Argento, and with strong AV presentation and host of context-providing bonus materials, Arrow's latest release of the film offers really good value.
—Under the Radar
Undoubtedly the finest of Argento's thrilling horrors.
1975's Deep Red is Dario Argento's first full-fledged masterpiece.
—Ed Gonzalez, Slant Magazine
One of Argento's very best works.
—Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
Gorgeous as it is gruesome
—Staci Layne Wilson, About.com
Operating under the principle that a moving camera is always better than a static one, and not above throwing in a terrifying evil doll, Deep Red showcases the technical bravado and loopy shock tactics that made Argento famous.
—Keith Phipps, AV Club
This exemplary giallo is clever enough to use its utterly compelling mystery to examine issues of gender identity and fluidity.
—Matt Brunson, Film Frenzy
[A] stirring and uncompromising thriller.
—Almar Haflidason, BBC
This is another impressive 4K UHD release from Arrow, who have gone the extra mile by compiling new and rather lengthy supplements for this version. Highly recommended.
Arrow is helping to set the standard for how Dario Argento’s work should look on the Ultra HD format. As was the case with their previous Blu-ray release, the film looks and sounds amazing and the supplements offer plenty of extra value. Highly recommended!
—The Digital Bits
With a strong image upgrade and an additional commentary, Arrow’s 4K release of Deep Red outdoes their already very impressive Blu-ray. 5 stars