- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: BLU-RAY DISC
- SKU: AA020
- UPC: 760137081883
- Street Date: 02/27/18
- PreBook Date: 02/27/18
- Label: Arrow Academy »
- Genre: Comedy
- Run Time: 125 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1960
- Region Code: 1
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actors:Jack Lemmon, Shirley Maclaine
- Director: Billy Wilder
Apartment, The: Limited Edition
- List Price: $49.95
- Your Price: $49.95
- In Stock: -5
You must login to place orders.
In 1960, following on from the success of their collaboration on Some Like it Hot, director Billy Wilder (Ace in the Hole, Sunset Boulevard) reteamed with actor Jack Lemmon (The Odd Couple, Glengarry Glen Ross) for what many consider the pinnacle of their respective careers: The Apartment. C.C. "Bud" Baxter (Lemmon) is a lowly Manhattan office drone with a lucrative sideline in renting out his apartment to adulterous company bosses and their mistresses. When Bud enters into a similar arrangement the firm's personnel director, J.D. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray, Double Indemnity), his career prospects begin to look up... and up. But when he discovers that Sheldrake's mistress is Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine, Irma la Douce), the girl of his dreams, he finds himself forced to choose between his career and the woman he loves... Winner of five Academy AwardsÂ®, including Best Picture, The Apartment features a wealth of Hollywood's finest talent - on both sides of the camera - at the top of their game. By turns cynical, heart-warming and hilarious, Wilder's masterpiece now shines like never before in this all-new, 4K-restored edition from Arrow Films.
- Limited Deluxe Edition Blu-ray [2700 copies]
- Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
- Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
- Optional 5.1 remix in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with film producer and historian Bruce Block
- New appreciation of the film and select scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
- The Flawed Couple, a new video essay by filmmaker David Cairns on the collaborations between Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon
- Billy Wilder ABC, an overview by David Cairns on the life and career of the filmmaker, covering his films, collaborators and more
- New interview with actress Hope Holiday
- Inside the Apartment, a half-hour 'making-of' featurette from 2007 including interviews with Shirley MacLaine, executive producer Walter Mirisch, and others
- Magic Time: The Art of Jack Lemmon, an archive profile of the actor from 2007
- Original screenplay by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond (BD-ROM content)
- Theatrical trailer
- Special collector's packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Ignatius Fitzpatrick
- Collector's 150-page hardcover book featuring new writing by Neil Sinyard, Kat Ellinger, Travis Crawford and Heather Hyche, generously illustrated with rare stills and behind-the-scenes imagery
- Ranked #93 in AFI's 100 Greatest Movies ('AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies')
- 93% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes!
- Winner of five Academy Awards including Best Director (Billy Wider), Best Screenplay (Writing) and BEST PICTURE!
One of the most amazing 'combo platters' of wry comedy and piercing emotion that has ever been captured on celluloid... Arrow has done both the film and itself proud with this sterling new version. Highly recommended.
Almost sixty years since its release, The Apartment still feels as fresh and irreverent as ever. It's certainly a film with legs that continues age beautifully. Arrow Academy's release is the finest home video option of the film available and is highly recommended!
—The Digital Bits
Arrow has become one of those companies whose name on the box means you can go to the bank, and this fresh viewing has, for me, been somewhat of a revelation.
—Media Play News