- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV187
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137220282
- Street Date: 02/12/19
- PreBook Date: 01/08/19
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 115 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1999
- Region Code: 1
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: Japanese
Cast & Crew
- Ryo Ishibashi
- Eihi Shiina
- Tetsu Sawaki
- Director: Takashi Miike
- Director: Takashi Miike
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 1043
You must login to place orders.
One of the most shocking J-horror films ever made, Audition exploded onto the festival circuit at the turn of the century to a chorus of awards and praise. The film would catapult Miike to the international scene and pave the way for such other genre delights as Ichii the Killer and The Happiness of the Katakuris. Recent widower Shigeharu Aoyama is advised by his son to find a new wife, so he seeks the advice of a colleague having been out of the dating scene for many years. They take advantage of their position in a film company by staging an audition to find the perfect woman. Interviewing a series of women, Shigeharu becomes enchanted by Asami, a quiet, 24-year-old woman, who is immediately responsive to his charms. But soon things take a very dark and twisted turn as we find that Asami isn't what she seems to be... Pulling the audience into a story that will lead to one of the most harrowing climaxes in cinema history, Miike twists and turns us through delirious editing and shocking visuals for one of the most depraved nightmares of all time!
- Brand new 2K restoriation of original vault elements
- Original 5.1 Dolby Surround Audio
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary with director Takashi Miike and screenwriter Daisuke Tengan
- Brand new commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes examining the film and its source novel
- Introduction by Miike
- Ties that Bind - A brand new interview with Takashi Miike
- Interviews with stars Ryo Ishibashi, Eihi Shiina, Renji Ishibashi and Ren Osugi
- Damaged Romance: An appreciation by Japanese cinema historian Tony Rayns
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anton Bitel
Miike's break out hit is a slow-burn that's well worth the wait until the famous climax. Audition is essential viewing for fans of Japanese horror. It's packed to the hilt with goodies, making it an essential purchase for fans of the movie.
In its dual ideology and blending of both psychological and body horror, Audition is a significant work of Japanese Horror... This special release is a must-buy, especially given all commentary that speaks to its thematic ideas.
Arrow has once again provided a cult item to interested fans that improves on the technical merits of previous releases and the supplemental material is fantastic. If you're a Miike fan, this is a no brainer. Highly recommended.
Arrow Video outfits the most notorious and profound of modern horror films with a vivid transfer, and with supplements that wrestle intelligently with its many mysteries.