- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: BLU-RAY DISC
- SKU: AV341
- UPC: 760137517191
- Street Date: 04/27/21
- PreBook Date: 03/23/21
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Mystery/Thriller
- Run Time: 113 mins
- Number of Discs: 2
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2001
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Director: Richard Kelly
- Director: Richard Kelly
Donnie Darko (UHD)
28 Days. 6 Hours. 42 Minutes 12 Seconds... That is When the World Will End.
- List Price: $59.95
- Your Price: $59.95
- In Stock: 458
You must login to place orders.
Fifteen years before Stranger Things combined science fiction, Spielbergian touches and 80s nostalgia to much acclaim, Richard Kelly set the template - and the high-water mark - with his debut feature, Donnie Darko. Initially beset with distribution problems, it would slowly find its audience and emerge as arguably the first cult classic of the new millennium.
Donnie is a troubled high school student: in therapy, prone to sleepwalking and in possession of an imaginary friend, a six-foot rabbit named Frank, who tells him the world is going to end in 28 days, 06 hours, 42 minutes and 12 seconds. During that time he will navigate teenage life, narrowly avoid death in the form of a falling jet engine, follow Frank's maladjusted instructions and try to maintain the space-time continuum.
Described by its director as "The Catcher in the Rye as told by Philip K. Dick", Donnie Darko combines an eye-catching, eclectic cast - pre-stardom Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, heartthrob Patrick Swayze, former child star Drew Barrymore, Oscar nominees Mary McDonnell and Katharine Ross, and television favorite Noah Wyle - and an evocative soundtrack of 80s classics by Echo and the Bunnymen, Tears for Fears and Duran Duran. This brand-new 4K restoration, carried out exclusively for this release by Arrow Films, allows a modern classic to finally receive the home video treatment it deserves.
- 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- New 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut from the original camera negatives by Arrow Films, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentations of both cuts in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- 100-page hardcover book featuring writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, an introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
- Double-sided fold-out poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece
- Six double-sided collector's postcards
- Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece
- DISC 1 - THE THEATRICAL CUT [4K UHD BLU-RAY]
- Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal
- Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval
- Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko
- The Goodbye Place, Kelly's 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
- 20 deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
- DISC 2 - THE DIRECTOR'S CUT [4K UHD BLU-RAY]
- Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith
- The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film's production, with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
- Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and Steven Poster
- Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary
- Storyboard comparisons
- B-roll footage
- Cunning Visions infomercials
- Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules
- Director's Cut trailer
- TV spots
Arrow Video has created a boxset that brings together both cuts upgraded to 4K UHD, previous bonus material, and a few new elements to excite fans who wanted non-cookie cutter film. The new 4K transfers are transcendental and the bonus features delve into almost every element of the film.... I can't imagine a fan having any unanswered questions after viewing them. This is a fine way to celebrate and immerse yourself into Donnie Darko's universe. You should watch it before the world ends.
Arrow's 4K presentation is excellent if different from Arrow's prior 1080 version, and while this release doesn't have quite the non disc swag of Arrow's 1080 version, it offers all of the on disc supplementary material along with a few other
Donnie Darko continues to stand the test of time as one of the more arresting first-time writing and directing pieces, influencing the generation that originally saw it and beyond. Arrow Video's new Limited Edition Ultra HD package offers a substantial upgrade of the film with a fantastic A/V presentation and a multitude of new and existing bonus features, the new documentary in particular being an essential watch. It comes highly recommended!
—The Digital Bits
Arrow's definitive 4K of Donnie Darko deserves every superlative thrown its way... It's a pleasing package for an otherwise perfect release. If you're a fan of the film at all, I recommend you run to get this before it sells out.
Donnie Darko merits repeat viewings. This 4K box set is fabulous... A near-perfect presentation.
—Hi Def Watch