- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: Blu-ray
- SKU: AV460
- UPC: 760137104568
- Street Date: 06/21/22
- PreBook Date: 05/17/22
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 85 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1989
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot:
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Anthony Perkins
- Actor: Glynis Barber
- Actor: David Lodge
- Actor: Harry Landis
- Actor: Sarah Maur Thorp
- Director: Gérard Kikoïne
- Producer: Harry Alan Towers
- Director: Gérard Kikoïne
- Producers: Harry Alan Towers
Edge Of Sanity
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 1220
You must login to place orders.
Anthony Perkins builds upon his legendary status as cinema's seminal psycho in Edge of Sanity, a delirious conflation of Robert Louis Stephenson's classic horror novella 'Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' and Jack the Ripper's real-life reign of terror over Victorian London. When his experiments into a powerful new anaesthetic go hideously awry, respected physician Dr Jekyll (Perkins) takes off into the night, casting aside the shackles of upper-class propriety as he disappears into the shadowy decadent demimonde of Whitechapel in pursuit of sensual pleasures under the guise of 'Mr Hyde'. As his wife Elisabeth (Glynis Barber) passes her time in charitable work, rehabilitating the district's fallen women, Hyde is drawn into an escalating cycle of lust and murder that seems to know no bounds. Produced by exploitation maestro Harry Alan Towers (The Face of Fu Manchu, Count Dracula) and directed with a hallucinogenic intensity by Gérard Kikoïne (Lady Libertine, Buried Alive), Edge of Sanity plunges the viewer into a labyrinth of depravity from which there is no escape.
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative by Arrow Films
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original uncompressed stereo audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by writer David Flint and author and filmmaker Sean Hogan
- Over the Edge, a brand new interview with Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA
- Jack, Jekyll and Other Screen Psychos, a brand new interview with Dr Clare Smith, author of Jack the Ripper in Film and Culture
- French Love, a career-spanning interview with director Gérard Kikoïne
- Staying Sane, Gérard Kikoïne discusses Edge of Sanity
- Original Theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jon Towlson
- Jack the Ripper meets Dr. Jeckyl
- Anthony Hopkins of Psycho fame in one of his final performances
Based on a classic novella and starting one of the genre's all time-greats
The cinematography by Tony Spratling is outstanding and the locales and art direction are quite nice. The outstanding feature in this opus is the genuinely creepy performance given by Anthony Perkins.
—Vincent Canby, New York Times
...a really fun central performance by Anthony Perkins.
—Jeffrey Kauffmann, Blu-ray.com
...a ripping good time.
—Joe Corey, Inside Pulse
Anthony Perkins builds upon his legendary status as cinema’s seminal psycho in Edge of Sanity, a delirious conflation of Robert Louis Stephenson’s classic horror novella…
...a solid thriller that works as well as it does because of Anthony Perkins' performance. Edge of Sanity gets an excellent release from Arrow Video that comes with a solid audio/video presentation and an abundance of informative extras, highly recommended.
—Michael Den Boer, 10K Bullets
It’s a great release with new cover art and plenty of special features. I recommend you pick it up as soon as you can.
—The Film Cultist
...watching this new release has given me a better appreciation of the film.
—Kevin G. Shinnick, Scarlet the Film Magazine
Overall, Edge of Sanity is terrific fun and offers up a thrilling 90 minutes of sleazy sex and violence filtered through a lens of Victorian darkness and 1980s fluorescence.
Arrow Video has released a Blu-Ray featuring an A+ audio/visual presentation and an array of special features that fans will appreciate. If you are generally a fan of horror movies that delight in excess, this should be an enjoyable time for you. Recommended
—Dillon Gonzales, Geek Vibes Nation
Edge of Sanity is a unique film that stands out among other ’80s slashers for being a period piece, yet still feeling very much like a product of the beloved time period. Arrow Video brings you a disc you’ll be able to enjoy for many years to come.
—Corey Danna, Horror Geek Life