- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV334
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137446989
- Street Date: 01/19/21
- PreBook Date: 12/15/20
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Mystery/Thriller
- Run Time: 110 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2000
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: Korean
Cast & Crew
- Director: Park Chan-wook
JSA: Joint Security Area
The Award Winning Thriller from the Director of Oldboy: One People, Two Countries, Every Life on Earth at Stake.
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 539
You must login to place orders.
Before Oldboy, before The Handmaiden, visionary filmmaker Park Chan-wook helmed this gripping tale of deceit, misunderstanding and the senselessness of war. Gunfire breaks out in the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, leaving two North Korean soldiers dead while a wounded South Korean soldier (Lee Byung-hun, The Good, the Bad, the Weird) flees to safety. With the tenuous peace between the two warring nations on a knife-edge, a neutral team of investigators, headed by Swiss Army Major Sophie Jean (Lee Young-ae, Lady Vengeance), is dispatched to question both sides to determine what really happened under cover of darkness out in no-man's land. The recipient of multiple accolades, including Best Film at South Korea's 2001 Grand Bell Awards, JSA - Joint Security Area showcases Park's iconic style in an embryonic form, and demonstrates that humanity and common purpose can be found in the most unlikely places.
- High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
- Original lossless Korean DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles
- New audio commentary by writer and critic Simon Ward
- Isolated music and effects track
- Newly recorded video interview with Asian cinema expert Jasper Sharp
- The JSA Story and Making the Film, two archival featurettes on the film’s production
- About JSA, a series of archival introductions to the film by members of the cast
- Behind the scenes montage
- Opening ceremony footage
- Two music videos: Letter from a Private and Take the Power Back
- Theatrical trailer
- TV spot
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Colin Murdoch
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Kieran Fisher
- On Quentin Tarantino's list of the 20 Greatest Movies.
- From the director of Old Boy and the star of Parasite
It's another triumph from one of the world's best new filmmakers, and it is not to be missed.
—David Cornelius, eFilmCritic.com
A forerunner of Korean cinema's current string of box office blockbusters.
—Chuck Stephens, The Village Voice
The film is often quite provocative in a surprisingly understated way, and it succeeds as both an almost harrowing mystery story and a really interesting set of character studies... As usual with Arrow releases, the supplemental package is very enjoyable. Recommended.
Slick, stylistic, and effective, JSA plays out as a sociopolitical mystery thriller, but on a very human level. Arrow Video's release is a welcome upgrade... It's a handsome presentation that will make Korean cinema fans more than happy.
—The Digital Bits
Especially resonant and cunningly staged... There are, in this military thriller, seeds of a more extensive gothic sensibility.