- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: BLU-RAY DISC
- SKU: AV378
- UPC: 760137697084
- Street Date: 10/12/21
- PreBook Date: 08/24/21
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Action/Adventure
- Run Time: 94 mins
- Number of Discs: 2
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1985
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Tom Cruise
- Actor: Tim Curry
- Actor: Mia Sara
- Actor: Billy Barty
- Actor: David Bennent
- Actor: Robert Picardo
- Actor: Alice Playten
- Director: Ridley Scott
- Director: Sergio Corbucci
Legend [Limited Edition]
This is such stuff as dreams are made of. This is Legend.
- List Price: $49.95
- Your Price: $49.95
- In Stock: -450
You must login to place orders.
After changing the face of science fiction cinema forever with Alien and Blade Runner, director Ridley Scott turned his visionary eye to the fantasy genre, teaming with writer William Hjortsberg (Angel Heart) to create a breathtaking cinematic fairytale with one of the screen's most astonishingly rendered depictions of Evil. In an idyllic, sun-dappled forest, the pure-hearted Jack (Tom Cruise) takes his true love Princess Lili (Mia Sara) to see a pair of unicorns frolicking at the forest's edge. Little do they know, however, that the Lord of Darkness (Tim Curry, in a remarkable make-up designed by The Thing's Rob Bottin) has dispatched his minions to capture the unicorns and sever their horns so that he may plunge the world into everlasting night. After Lili and the unicorns are taken prisoner, Jack must team with a group of forest creatures and descend into Darkness' subterranean lair to face off against the devilish creature before it is too late. Despite a troubled production in which the elaborate full-size forest set was accidentally incinerated and a lengthy post-production that resulted in multiple versions of the film (with competing music scores by Jerry Goldsmith and Tangerine Dream), Legend has since been restored to Scott's original cut and embraced by generations of film fans eager to see a master director's unique vision of a world beyond our imagination.
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of the U.S. Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut
- DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 2.0 stereo audio on both cuts
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
- Illustrated perfect-bound book with new writing by Nicholas Clement and Kat Ellinger and archive materials including production notes and a 2002 interview with Charles de Lauzirika about the restoration of the Director's Cut
- Large double-sided poster with newly commissioned artwork by Neil Davies and original theatrical artwork by John Alvin
- Glossy full-color portraits of the cast photographed by Annie Leibovitz
- Six double-sided postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Neil Davies and original theatrical artwork by John Alvin
- DISC 1: US THEATRICAL CUT
- New 2K restoration of the US Theatrical Cut from original materials including a 4K scan of the original negative
- New commentary by Paul M. Sammon author of Ridley Scott: The Making of His Movies
- 2002 Reconstructed isolated score by Tangerine Dream
- Isolated music and effects track
- A Fairytale in Pinewood, new featurette interviewing grip David Cadwalladr, costume designer Charles Knode, co-star Annabelle Lanyon, camera operator Peter MacDonald, set decorator Ann Mollo and draftsman John Ralph
- Incarnations of a Legend, comparison featurette written and narrated by critic Travis Crawford
- The Directors: Ridley Scott, 2003 documentary where the director discusses his career, including Legend
- 'Is Your Love Strong Enough?' music video by Bryan Ferry
- DISC 2: DIRECTOR'S CUT
- Commentary by Ridley Scott
- Creating A Myth: Memories of Legend, a 2002 documentary with interviews with Ridley Scott, William Hjortsberg, Mia Sara, Tim Curry, Rob Bottin and others
- Original promotional featurette
- Alternate 'Four Goblins' opening and 'The Fairie Dance' deleted scene
- Storyboard galleries for three deleted scenes
- Two drafts of William Hjortsberg's screenplay
- Alternate footage from the overseas release plus textless footage
- Trailers and TV spots
- Still galleries
- *EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE*
- Oscar & Saturn Award Nominee for Best Make-Up
- Legend is the most requested film in the Universal Film Library
- WINNER: the British Society of Cinematographers Award for Best Cinematography
- Tim Curry's performance as Darkness has been hailed as the greatest cinematic depiction of Evil
- Rob Bottin's creature design of Darkness is widely considered one of the All-Time greatest movie monsters
Legend is an impressive technical achievement. Scott is a perfectionist who takes infinite pains to make things look right.
—Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
Legend is still so much fun to watch. It's a visual feast, a truly grim fairy tale.
—Jessica Mason, The Mary Sue
A sumptuous, richly colored feast
—Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times
Tim Curry is magnificent!
—Geoff Andrew, Time Out
Legend is a gothic fairy tale brought to life
—Ed Gonzalez, Slant
The sets, makeup and photography in Ridley Scott's contribution to the fantasy cycle are awesome
A gorgeously packaged and well appointed release of a film that continues to weave its own ineluctable spell in any of its versions. Highly recommended.
Arrow Video's beautiful new Blu-ray restoration and release of Legend represents a significant upgrade--certainly the best experience of this film on disc to date, with the most comprehensive special features too. It's very highly recommended.
—The Digital Bits
Legend is a marvel to behold with the sets, special effects and wardrobe that really hadn't been approached for a fantasy based film. It needs to be seen in at least Blu-ray to make out all the little touches that made film fantastical that allowed Ridley Scott to take us to one more other worldly location.
Arrow has put together a definitive package for fans of the film, with both versions, a superb visual presentation, and a true wealth of extra features to dig into.
It's insane how stocked this slipcase is. If you're a fan of Legend, there shouldn't be anything holding you back from picking up this release.
—Under The Radar Magazine
This movie wasn't considered a classic when it was released. But today? Today it certainly is. This Arrow Video limited edition blu ray has everything you ever wanted to see about this movie
—Bands About Movies
Still to this day one of the most impressive ever creations of practical make-up FX
—One Of Us
Arrow's limited edition Blu-ray of the movie is overloaded with extras, both new and carried over from previous releases. It's insane how stocked this slipcase is.
—Legend [Limited Edition] [Blu-ray] **DELETED**, Under The Radar Magazine
Another awesome looking Arrow box set.
—Legend [Limited Edition] [Blu-ray] **DELETED**, Screaming Cinema