- An MVD Exclusive
- Version: Collector's Edition
- SKU: MVD8562BR
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137856283
- Street Date: 11/01/22
- PreBook Date: 09/20/22
- Label: MVD Rewind Collection »
- Genre: Mystery/Thriller
- Run Time: 115 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1986
- Region Code: 1
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: US,CA
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Candy Clark
- Actor: Stephen Geoffreys
- Actor: David Strathairn
- Actor: Kiefer Sutherland
- Actor: Christopher Penn
- Actor: Tracey Walter
- Actor: Crispin Glover
- Actor: Mary Stuart Masterson
- Actor: Christopher Walken
- Actor: Sean Penn
- Director: James Foley
- Producer: Elliott Lewitt
- Producer: Don Guest
- Director: James Foley
- Producers: Elliott Lewitt, Don Guest
At Close Range (Collector's Edition)
LIKE FATHER. LIKE SON. LIKE HELL.
- List Price: $29.95
- Your Price: $29.95
- In Stock: 302
You must login to place orders.
A teenage farm boy looking for excitement finds himself on a collision course with his smooth-talking gang leader father in this "powerfully disturbing" (Newsweek) tale based on the story of real-life killer Bruce Johnston. Oscar® winner* Sean Penn (Dead Man Walking) and Oscar® winner** Christopher Walken (Pulp Fiction) star in this "hot, horrifying saga of an American criminal family" (Los Angeles Times).
Juvenile delinquent Brad Whitewood, Jr. (Penn) knows about petty theft, but he wants big money - enough to blow the lid off his boring life, enough to get out of town and to find his ol' man (Walken). He wants to be like his dad, a big-time thief, who knows "the business." Seductive and sinister, Brad's father is full of toxic wisdom that makes his illicit life appear eerily sexy. But when Brad witnesses his father deliberately killing someone, he realizes he may not only be in over his head... he may also lose it for good.
*2003: Actor, Mystic River **1978: Supporting Actor, The Deer Hunter
- Features smash hit, award-winning single “Live to Tell” by Madonna
- At Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 87% based on 23 reviews, with an average score of 7.2/10.
- Amazing supporting cast includes Christopher Penn (Reservoir Dogs) , Kiefer Sutherland (“24”), David Strathairn (Lincoln), Stephen Geoffreys (Fright Night) and Candy Clark (American Graffiti)
- All-star cast includes Sean Penn (Mystic River), Christopher Walken (Pulp Fiction), Mary Stuart Masterson (Some Kind of Wonderful), Crispin Glover (Back to the Future) and Tracey Walter (Repo Man)
- From executive producers John Daly & Derek Gibson (The Terminator, Hoosiers)
- Written by Academy Award nominee Nicholas Kazan (Reversal of Fortune, Fallen, Bicentennial Man, Enough), who is also the son of legendary director Elia Kazan.
- Directed by James Foley (Glengarry Glen Ross, Fear, After Dark, My Sweet, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed)
A very tough picture... audiences will respond to the very strong performances of the two leads, especially Walken in one of his best roles.
Mr. Kazan's screenplay is lean and to the point...There's something bold about the film's wealth of imagery.
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
A spare, violent unforgiving story... is also a story with passages of love and adventure and cheerfulness... two great actors, Penn and Walken, at the top of their forms in roles that give them a lot to work with.
—Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times
Walken and Penn are both terrific
—MIKE SPRING, Live For Film
Anyone interested in the film should be more than pleased with this re-release
—JEFFREY KAUFFMAN, Blu-ray.com
At Close Range is a truly great crime thriller from the ‘80s.
—ADAM KAUTZER, The Movie Isle