- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: 4K Ultra HD
- SKU: AV372
- UPC: 760137892892
- Street Date: 04/12/22
- PreBook Date: 03/08/22
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 123 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1994
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot:
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Robert De Niro
- Actor: Helena Bonham Carter
- Actor: Tom Hulce
- Actor: Aidan Quinn
- Actor: Ian Holm
- Actor: John Cleese
- Director: Kenneth Branagh
- Director: Kenneth Branagh
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein UHD
Be Warned. It's Alive.
- List Price: $49.95
- Your Price: $49.95
- In Stock: 850
You must login to place orders.
Kenneth Branagh leads an all-star cast including Robert De Niro, Helena Bonham Carter, Tom Hulce, Ian Holm, John Cleese and Aidan Quinn in his definitive cinematic version of Mary Shelley's classic tale of gothic terror. At the turn of the 19th century, visionary scientist Victor Frankenstein (Kenneth Branagh) embarks on an obsessive quest to conquer the mysteries of human mortality. But his hubristic bid to create life out of death goes hideously wrong, and succeeds only in begetting a deformed monster (Robert De Niro). Horrified by what he has wrought, the scientist attempts to destroy his creation, but fails. Rejected by his creator and shunned by the world of man, the tormented creature swears vengeance against Frankenstein and his family. As the monster begins to enact his murderous revenge, Victor must face a terrible reckoning with the tragic consequences of attempting to play God. Mary Shelley's seminal novel is one of the most adapted books of all time, and this retelling faithfully goes back to the original source, lushly transforming the story's twin themes of love and death into a darkly operatic gothic romance. Unlike many versions of Shelley's novel, Branagh's adaptation understands that Frankenstein's misbegotten creation is as pitiable as he is monstrous, and never loses sight of the human tragedy lying at the core of its horrific tale. Filled with sweeping, atmospheric visuals and powerfully emotional performances from an award-winning ensemble of acting talent, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein stands as a landmark interpretation of this enduring masterpiece.
- New 4K restoration from the original camera negatives by Sony Pictures Entertainment
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by film historians Michael Brooke and Johnny Mains
- Brand new interview with composer Patrick Doyle
- Brand new interview with costumer designer James Acheson
- Brand new interview with make-up designer Daniel Parker
- Mary Shelley and The Creation of a Monster, a brand new documentary featurette on the origins and evolution of the Frankenstein story, featuring Gothic specialists David Pirie, Jonathan Rigby and Stephen Volk
- Dissecting Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, a brand new featurette with David Pirie, Jonathan Rigby and Stephen Volk on the differences between the novel and Kenneth Branagh’s screen adaptation
- Frankenstein: A Liberal Adaptation from Mrs. Shelley’s Famous Story for Edison Production (1910): The first screen adaptation of Shelley’s story in a 2K restoration by the Library of Congress, with music by Donald Sosin
- Original trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Laz Marquez
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Jon Towlson and Amy C. Chambers
- Nominated for 7 Saturn Awards, 6 Fangoria Chainsaw Awards, and 1 Oscar
- The most accurate screen adaptation of Mary Shelley's gothic masterpiece by 3-time Oscar Nominee, Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Mist, The Walking Dead)
- Directed by 5-time Oscar Nominee, Kenneth Branagh & starring 2-time Oscar Winner, Robert De Niro
Sumptuous to look at, with some decent performances... extravagantly handsome production design and sequences derived from Branagh's love of Big Pictures
—Angie Errigo, Empire
Branagh's ambitious take succeeds as a cautionary tale about true monstrosity: hubris and man's inhumanity to man
—Peter Canavese, Groucho Reviews
The more you watch, the more you appreciate how Branagh was able to faithfully retell Shelley's novel while still managing to make it fresh and make it relevant
—James Plath, Movie Metropolis
Fitfully faithful to the original... well-played by De Niro
—Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
A lavishly decorated horror movie with excellent elocution
—David Ansen, Newsweek
The look of the film is dazzling and the performances are all first-rate
—Chris Hicks, Deseret News
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein succeeds where other adaptations falter
—Matt Paprocki, Doblu
Arrow Video presents a fully-restored 4K Ultra-HD + Blu-ray package that provides a nice touch-up to what was never a particularly sharp looking film up until now.
—Movie Line Online
Filled with sweeping, atmospheric visuals and powerfully emotional performances from an award-winning ensemble of acting talent, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein stands as a landmark interpretation of this enduring masterpiece.
—Tom Stockman, We Are Movie Geeks
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein makes its way to 4K UHD via a spectacular upgrade from Arrow Video that comes with a solid audio/video presentation and an assortment of insightful extras, highly recommended.
—Michael Den Boer, 10K Bullets
These are two films from the seventies made during the heyday of the popular Italian poliziotteschi (poliziotto) genre. There is no doubt that we about to be served a healthy dose of shoot outs, car chases, fights, tough cops who have had it with the system, and bad guy who cross the line of decency.
—Edwin Samuelson, AV Maniacs
The 4K UHD brings decent picture and audio along with an appealing collection of bonus materials.
—Colin Jacobson, DVD Movie Guide
So big in scope… It looks great, it sounds great
The 4k scan looks wonderfully balanced and well defined- really shining in each of the film's settings
Definitely a step above the blu-ray and worth picking up
—Paul Gilmore, Twin Flicks
While the film is a kind of hit and/or miss affair, this release offers secure technical merits and excellent supplementary material, always one of Arrow's most defining calling cards. With caveats duly noted, Recommended.
—Jeffrey Kauffman, Blu-ray.com
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is worthy of a revisit. Arrow Video with their 4K UHD set makes sure of it. High Recommendations.
—A.W. Kautzer, The Movie Isle
...the complicated relationship between Frankenstein and his monster elevates the material in creative new ways.
—Real Movie News
...an early-career Helena Bonham Carter breathes vivid life into the doomed role of Frankenstein’s fiancé.
—Orrin Grey, Signal Horizon
When the film turns to fire and brimstone, as director Kenneth Branagh is wont to do, it glows.