- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: DVD
- SKU: DBD100
- UPC: 760137184799
- Street Date: 12/07/18
- PreBook Date: 11/02/18
- Label: MVD Visual »
- Genre: Alternative/Punk
- Run Time: 95:22 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2017
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: NORTH AMERICA
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Joan Jett
- Billy Idol
- Debbie Harry
- Nick Rhodes
- Denis McNamara
- Vince Clarke
- Cy Curnin
- Director: Ellen Goldfarb
- Producer: Ellen Goldfarb
- Producer: Roger Senders
- Director: Ellen Goldfarb
- Producers: Ellen Goldfarb, Roger Senders
New Wave: Dare To Be Different
The Story of the Most Influential Radio Station in America
- List Price: $19.95
- Your Price: $19.95
- In Stock: 613
You must login to place orders.
U2, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Blondie, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, The Clash, The Cure: Over half a billion records sold but you may never have heard of them if not for a small suburban radio station on Long Island, NY: WLIR. In August, 1982, a small group of radio visionaries knew they couldn't compete with the mega-stations in New York City. With one brave decision, they changed the sound of radio forever. In this riveting and star studded documentary, Program Director Denis McNamara, the 'LIR crew and the biggest artists of the era tell the story of how they battled the FCC, the record labels, corporate-radio and all the conventional rules to create a musical movement that brought the New Wave to America. The dynamic soundtrack includes more than 50 songs from the era and a new original theme song by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts!
- Unseen interview with Director Ellen Goldfarb
- Unseen interviews with WLIR Program Director Denis McNamara
- Unseen interview with Billy Idol
- Unseen interview with Nick Rhodes founding member of Duran Duran
- Unseen interview with Lol Tolhurst, founding member of The Cure
- Unseen interview with Curt Smith, founding member of Tears for Fears
- Unseen interview with Eddie Lundon and Gary Daly of China Crisis
- Unseen interview with Grammy wining producer Steve Thompson
- Unseen interview with Ed Steinberg, founder of RockAmerica
- Unseen interviews with WLIR Staff: Donna Donna, Malibu Sue McCann, Larry 'The Duck' Dunn
- Unseen interviews with WLIR Staff: Delphine Blue, Ben Manilla, Jeff 'Beck' Carlson,
- Unseen interview with Jim Murtha and DJ Bird
- Unseen interview with Cassie Reilly, daughter of Denis McNamara
- Unseen interview with Dan McNamara, son of Denis McNamara
- Celebrate 80's hair, fashion, culture and music with those who dared to be different!
- Must see for fans of 80's music!
- Featuring more than 50 hit songs from artists such as U2, Joan Jett, Blondie, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, The Cure, The Fixx, The B-52's, Simple Minds, Tears for Fears, Flock of Seagulls and Bob Marley
- Interviews with amazing 80's artists like Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Debbie Harry, Nick Rhodes, Vince Clarke, Jim Kerr, Fred Schneider, Dave Wakeling, Cy Curnan, Mike Score, Mike Peters, Katrina Leskanich, Thomas Dolby, Tom Bailey and Howard Jones
- Featuring original theme song by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, 'Dare To Be Different!'
An enjoyable look at a tremendously influential broadcasting underdog.
—John De Fore, The Hollywood Reporter
Chronicles rise, fall of the coolest 80's radio station!
—Glenn Gamboa, Newsday
Shines a Light on Influential Long Island Radio Station During the '80s
—Ron Hart, Billboard
The station's broadcasting license had been under threat since a 1972 dispute and the FCC finally revoked it in 1987, ironically, the same year they won the Alternative Station Of The Year Award from radio trade publication the Gavin Report.
—Benjamin Smith, Decider
—Rob Ross, Pop Dose
Mainstream American music wasn't breaking new bounds, it wasn't saying anything dangerous... WLIR fueled something loud, smelly, and nasty.