- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: MVD10296BR
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137102960
- Street Date: 07/01/22
- PreBook Date: 05/27/22
- Label: Drafthouse Films »
- Genre: Pop/Rock
- Run Time: 01:37: mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2014
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: US,CA
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Director: Iain Forsyth, Jane Pollard
- Director: Iain Forsyth, Jane Pollard
Nick Cave - 20,000 Days On Earth
An inventive, lyrical ode to creativity and an intimate examination of the artistic process of musician and cultural icon Nick Cave.
- List Price: $19.95 New Price!
- Your Price: $19.95
- In Stock: 1246
You must login to place orders.
20,000 Days On Earth is an inventive, lyrical ode to creativity and an intimate examination of the artistic process of musician and cultural icon Nick Cave. In their debut feature directors Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard fuse drama and documentary, weaving a staged day in Cave's life with never-before-seen verité observation of his creative cycle.
- On Metacritic, which assigns a weighted mean rating out of 100 reviews from film critics, the film holds an average score of 84, based on 15 reviews, indicating 'universal acclaim'.
- Nick Cave AO is an award-winning singer, songwriter, author, screenwriter, composer and occasional actor. Known for his baritone voice and for fronting the rock band 'Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds'
- Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 97% of 38 film critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 7.4 out of 10.
- Premiered in-competition in the World Cinema Documentary Competition at 2014 Sundance Film Festival in 2014.
- The film also premiered at 64th Berlin International Film Festival in Panorama Dokumente section, in February 2014 and at the 2014 True/False Film Festival. It also served as the opening night film at 2014 Sydney Film Festival in 2014.
While the doc should prove essential for Nick Cave fans, it should be inspiring for those interested in the creative process or anyone searching for their muse.
—Cory Everett, Indiewire
This innovative study of Nick Cave playfully disguises itself as fiction while more than fulfilling the requirements of a biographical documentary.
—Rob Nelson, Variety
What makes 20,000 Days on Earth distinctive is that it provides an overview of the man and his art while creating the illusion that this has come together organically.
—David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter
The cinematography was beautiful, with extremely unique transitions that somehow flowed scene to scene and the soundtrack was obviously excellent, with some stirring performances.Thus here in 20,000 Days On Earth, Nick Cave is simultaneously eccentric, enigmatic, yet very down to earth and heartfelt. I might just have also caught his heartbeat along the cinematic journey and I hope you do too.
The movie is intelligent and riveting, offering a behind-the-scenes look at the iconoclastic Cave and celebrating his artistry.
—Bob Bloom, Film Yap
I frankly didn't know all that much about Nick Cave before coming to 20,000 Days on Earth, but that may in fact have been a good thing. This is such a bracing, provocative piece of filmmaking that it's perhaps preferable to jump in without a whale of a lot of foreknowledge, kind of like those "ice bath swimmers" who plummet into near freezing waters rather than just dipping a toe in first to acclimatize themselves. Cave is a fascinating "multi-hyphenate," as the trade papers like to describe such titanically gifted individuals, and the kind of amazing thing is he managed to find two equally creative filmmakers in the form(s) of Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard, who invest this piece with a really distinctive style and format.
—Jeffrey Kauffman, Blu-ray.com
The cinematography was beautiful, with extremely unique transitions that somehow flowed scene to scene and the soundtrack was obviously excellent, with some stirring performances. Thus here in 20,000 Days On Earth, Nick Cave is simultaneously eccentric, enigmatic, yet very down to earth and heartfelt. I might just have also caught his heartbeat along the cinematic journey and I hope you do too.