- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AA024
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137098881
- Street Date: 02/13/18
- PreBook Date: 01/09/18
- Label: Arrow Academy »
- Genre: Comedy
- Run Time: 80 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1978
- Region Code: 1
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: Italian
Cast & Crew
- Balduin Baas
- Clara Colosimo
- Elizabeth Labi
- Director: Federico Fellini
- List Price: $34.95
- Your Price: $34.95
- In Stock: 183
You must login to place orders.
Made in 1978 for Italian television, Orchestra Rehearsal is possibly Fellini's most satirical and overtly political film.
An allegorical pseudo-documentary, the film depicts an Italian television crew's visit to a dilapidated auditorium (a converted 13th-century church) to meet an orchestra assembling to rehearse under the instruction of a tyrannical conductor. The TV crew interviews the various musicians who each speak lovingly about their chosen instruments. However, as petty squabbles break out amid the different factions of the ensemble, and the conductor berates his musicians, the meeting descends into anarchy and vandalism. A destructive crescendo ensues before the musicians regroup and play together once more in perfect harmony.
Abounding with its director's trademark rich imagery and expressive style, Orchestra Rehearsal marks the last collaboration between Fellini and the legendary composer Nino Rota (due to the latter's death in 1979) who provides one of his most beautiful themes in the film's conclusion.
- Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original 1.0 mono sound
- Optional English subtitles
- Richard Dyer on Nino Rota and Orchestra Rehearsal, the film scholar talks about the great composer and his last collaboration with Fellini
- Orchestrating Discord, a visual essay on the film by Fellini biographer John Baxter
- Gallery featuring rare poster and press material on the film from the Felliniana collection of Don Young
- Reversible sleeve featuring two original artwork options
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Adrian Martin
Prime Fellini... Technical merits are strong and supplements quite enjoyable.
Orchestra Rehearsal's faux TV documentary style gave Fellini the chance to do something unorthodox... It's an interesting film and one that requires much more analyzation than you might expect. Arrow Academy's presentation of the film offers a robust and healthy transfer with a decent set of extras to boot.
—The Digital Bits
A feuding orchestra is an allegory for 1970s Italian society in this cinema verite project. Arrow's release is typically solid. Recommended.