- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: SFD0214
- Format: 4K Ultra HD
- UPC: 654930323793
- Street Date: 03/14/23
- PreBook Date: 02/07/23
- Label: Synapse Films »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 116 mins
- Number of Discs: 2
- Audio: 5.1 SURROUND
- Year of Production: 1985
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: NORTH AMERICA
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Donald Pleasence
- Actor: Jennifer Connelly
- Actor: Daria Nicolodi
- Actor: Fiore Argento
- Actor: Patrick Bauchau
- Director: Dario Argento
- Director: Dario Argento
Phenomena (2-Disc Special Edition) [4K Ultra HD]
Dario Argento's classic gory murder mystery "Phenomena" now comes to the 4K UHD format in Dolby Vision from Synapse Films!
- List Price: $49.95
- Your Price: $49.95
- In Stock: -6
You must login to place orders.
From Italian master of the macabre Dario Argento (Suspiria, Tenebrae), comes Phenomena - one of his most beautifully designed horror films - now remastered in 4K Ultra HD and Dolby Vision in a two-disc set! The young Jennifer Corvino, played by Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Connelly (Labyrinth, Top Gun: Maverick), is sent to a private Swiss academy for girls where a vicious killer is on the loose. Jennifer has the unique ability to telepathically communicate with insects and an entomologist, Dr. John McGregor (Donald Pleasence, Halloween, Escape from New York), enlists her help in locating the murderer. As the mystery unfolds, they find themselves in a bizarre murder plot with maggots, telepathic insects and a razor-wielding chimpanzee! Can Jennifer uncover the killer's identity before becoming a victim herself? Phenomena features a fantastic soundtrack from progressive-rock gods Goblin, British heavy metal masters Motörhead, Iron Maiden, Andi Sex Gang, Bill Wyman and Simon Boswell. Dalila Di Lazarro (Andy Warhol's Frankenstein), Daria Nicolodi (Tenebrae), Patrick Bauchau (Clear and Present Danger) and Fiore Argento (Demons) also star in this truly unique, gory and unsettling thriller.
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentations in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- New 4K restorations of all three versions of Phenomena, including the original Italian version (116 mins.), the International cut (110 mins.), and the U.S. “Creepers” cut (83 mins.)
- Lossless English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 stereo soundtracks on the international version, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
- Rare alternate DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo mix on the international version, featuring different sound effects and music cues
- Lossless Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 stereo soundtracks, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
- Lossless English DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 mono and 2.0 'stereo music version' soundtrack on Creepers, mastered from the original 3 track DME magnetic mix
- Lossless “hybrid” English/Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the hybrid soundtrack
- U.S. theatrical trailer and radio spots for 'Creepers'
- Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
- Audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of Murder by Design: The Unsane Cinema of Dario Argento (on Italian Version)
- Audio commentary on the international version by Argento scholar and author Derek Botelho and film historian, journalist and radio/television commentator David Del Valle
- Of Flies and Maggots, a feature-length 2017 documentary produced by Arrow Films, including interviews with co-writer/producer/director Dario Argento, actors Fiore Argento, Davide Marotta, Daria Nicolodi and others...
- The Three Sarcophagi, a visual essay by Arrow Films producer Michael Mackenzie comparing the different cuts of Phenomena
- “Jennifer” music video, directed by Dario Argento
- Slipcover/o-card with beautiful artwork from artist Nick Charge
- Reversible cover with original Italian PHENOMENA art
- First time ever on the 4K Ultra HD format, making its debut!
- Stars Jennifer Connelly (Top Gun: Maverick), Daria Nicolodi (Inferno) and Donald Pleasence (Halloween)
- Cult classsic film was originally released in the US from New Line Cinema (A Nightmare on Elm Street) under the alternate title 'Creepers' and was the last of Argento's films to receive 'any kind of meaningful theatrical release' in the United States.
- 1985 Italian supernatural horror giallo film directed by Dario Argento (Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The Cat o' Nine Tails)
Fans of the movie will want this set, as the film's truly never looked better; providing three significantly different cuts ensures this release will appeal to fans both nostalgic for the U.S. Creepers cut, and those who want to see the movie the way Argento intended it.
—Austin Trunick, Under The Radar Magazine
rich textural landscape of dream logic and nightmare fuel.
—GREG WALTON, Movieline Online
The single most important thing to Argento is creating a mood, and Phenomena does that in spades, from the first frame to the last.
—TIM SALMONS, The Digital Bits