- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV278
- Format: 4K Ultra HD
- UPC: 760137375098
- Street Date: 09/01/20
- PreBook Date: 07/14/20
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 109 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2000
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Vin Diesel
- Director: Vin Diesel
- Director: Vin Diesel
- List Price: $49.95
- Your Price: $49.95
- In Stock: 248
You must login to place orders.
THERE'S A NEW REASON TO BE AFRAID OF THE DARK. A sci-fi/horror sleeper hit that birthed a franchise and launched the career of a new action movie icon, Pitch Black holds its own today as a nerve-shredding creature-feature in which the monsters outside finally meet their match against a monster within. When an intergalactic transport ship crashes on a remote desert planet with no sign of help on the horizon, the survivors, led by Fry (Radha Mitchell), band together to find a way back home. Among the passengers is Riddick (Vin Diesel), a convicted murderer being transported by marshal Johns (Cole Hauser) - and now freed of his chains and on the loose. But as a solar eclipse plunges the planet into total darkness, a threat even worse than Riddick reveals itself, and the last humans standing may have to form an uneasy truce with the cunning fugitive (whose eyes have been surgically altered to see in the dark) to last the long night. Boasting crackerjack direction and a whip-smart script by David Twohy, as well as a star-making performance by Diesel, Riddick's first outing is freshly unleashed in an illuminating, brand new 4K restoration, with hours of exclusive bonus content.
- Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films of the Theatrical and Director’s Cuts of the film, approved by director David Twohy
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround on both cuts
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
- Archive commentary with director David Twohy and stars Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser
- Archive commentary with director David Twohy, producer Tom Engelman and visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
- Nightfall: The Making of Pitch Black, a newly filmed interview with director/co-writer David Twohy
- Black Box: Jackie's Journey, a newly filmed interview with actor Rhiana Griffith
- Black Box: Shazza's Last Stand, a newly filmed interview with actor Claudia Black
- Black Box: Bleach Bypassed, a newly filmed interview with cinematographer David Eggby
- Black Box: Cryo-Locked, a newly filmed interview with visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
- Black Box: Primal Sounds, a newly filmed interview with composer Graeme Revell
- The Making of Pitch Black, a short behind-the-scenes featurette
- Pitch Black Raw, a comparison between early CG tests and the final footage
- Additional behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the film
- 2004 archive bonus features, including an introduction by Twohy, A View Into The Dark, and Chronicles of Riddick Visual Encyclopedia
- Johns’ Chase Log, a short prequel narrated by Cole Hauser detailing the character’s hunt for Riddick
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury, an animated short film directed by Peter Chung that acts as a bridgepoint between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, featuring performances by Vin Diesel, Keith David and Rhiana Griffith reprising their roles
- Dark Fury bonus features including Bridging The Gap, Peter Chung: The Mind of an Animator, A View Into The Light, and a “pre-animation” version of the film
- Slam City, a motion comic from the film’s official website
- Into Pitch Black, a TV special offering an alternative non-canon glimpse into what happened before and after the events of the film
- Raveworld: Pitch Black Event, footage of a dance music event held to promote the film
- Theatrical trailers, plus trailers for the two sequels and video game
- Image galleries
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned 'night' and 'day' artwork by Luke Preece
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collectors’ booklet with writing by Simon Ward on the creature designs (including interview with creature designer Patrick Tatopolous), production notes, interview with Vin Diesel
- Extras subject to change.
Arrow continues to curate a hugely appealing slate of releases, and their entry into the 4K UHD sweepstakes certainly has a number of fans (including yours truly) understandably excited. This is another fantastic release from the label, one with superior technical aspects and absolutely top notch supplements. Highly recommended.
This is a great little sci-fi gem, with an original story and compelling characters. It's never looked better than it does here in 4K Ultra HD from Arrow Video. The disc is worth the upgrade for fans. Recommended.
—The Digital Bits
Arrow’s 4K restoration and presentation really delivers. Overall, Arrow makes a very strong 4K debut with this edition.
The highly-stylized space western crash lands on 4K Ultra HD with an excellent Dolby Vision HDR presentation, showing a dramatic upgrade from its HD predecessors. With a few new supplements for fans to sift through, the overall UHD package makes a recommended addition to the library.
A stunning Dolby Vision-enhanced native 4K presentation, and an utterly comprehensive selection of extras which actually make it onto the 4K disc itself. Fans should consider it an absolute must-have, and Arrow have done us proud with their first 4K disc.
The movie’s use of bright sunny sequences and inky darkness is exactly the type of content ideal to demonstrate what High Dynamic Range (HDR) can offer cinephiles. The result is a gorgeous image that really brings this movie alive in a way I don’t remember from when I last saw it.