- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: VETO40
- Format: LP
- UPC: 675669004012
- Street Date: 05/05/15
- PreBook Date: 03/03/15
- Label: Veto »
- Genre: Alternative/Punk
- Run Time: 32 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2015
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: WORLD
- Language: English
Rank Strangers - Ringtones
Brand new release from long running Minneapolis band Rank Strangers!
- List Price: $12.99
- Your Price: $12.99
- In Stock: 71
You must login to place orders.
Rank Strangers are an indie garage rock trio from Minneapolis, established in 1990. Named after a classic old bluegrass gospel song, but influenced by punk-inflected indie rockers like Guided By Voices and Grant Hart, singer / songwriter Mike Wisti describes "Ringtones" as having "post-illiterate, crypto-phonic songs that unconnect the dots and utilize the element of surprise". As proprietor of Albatross Recording, Wisti has recorded over 300 records in the past 20 years by such luminaries as Lifter Puller, Brute Heart, Grant Hart, Lucy Michelle and Black Diet. He's also the subject of on-going film project known as "The Making of My Genius: The Movie". On Ringtones, the prolific Strangers once again whip up buzzy, lo-fi songs that bristle with slanted, off-kilter energy... Always sounding serious, but always having fun.
- Rank Strangers were the subject of cover story features in City Pages (1996) and The Pulse (2001).
- Rank Strangers Tucke Des Objekts, Die was selected as Best Record of 2008 by The Star Tribune.
- In 2015, Rank Strangers will play their 600th show.
- Rank Strangers had a star on the wall outside the venerable rock club First Avenue until the stars were repainted several years ago.
- Rank Strangers have released seven singles/EPs and have contributed music to numerous benefit/tribute/sampler projects.
- Rank Strangers Target won a Minnesota Music Award for Best Album of 1997.
Singer and guitarist Mike Wisti channels his inner Robert Pollard with fervor, whipping up buzzy, lo-fi songs that bristle with slanted, off-kilter energy!
—The Onion AV Club
An inventive garage rock band... Terrifically frazzled Guided by Voices-style fuzz-rock, always sounding serious but always having fun.
Rank Strangers are just further proof that the City of Lakes can still pull its weight musically... Overall, this is another impressive outing from the band.