- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: Blu-ray
- SKU: SR6685
- UPC: 618952711525
- Street Date: 11/23/21
- PreBook Date: 10/19/21
- Label: Ronin Flix »
- Genre: Action/Adventure
- Run Time: 104 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1980
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: US,CA
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Christopher Walken
- Actor: Tom Berenger
- Actor: Colin Blakely
- Director: John Irvin
- Director: John Irvin
The Dogs Of War [special Edition]
Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip ... The Dogs of War
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 957
You must login to place orders.
Christopher Walken (Pennies from Heaven, Heaven's Gate, The Deer Hunter) is a brutal mercenary who must fight the ultimate battle - against his own conscience - in this powerful action thriller with a "heart-thumping tempo" (The Hollywood Reporter).
The Dogs of War is a spectacular adventure that brilliantly captures the glory - and horror - of war. Jamie Shannon (Walken) is a cynical warrior-for-hire who feels truly alive only in the heat of battle, and now he's about to take on the most challenging assignment of his career: to invade a corrupt African dictatorship and shift control to the "puppet" of a powerful British corporation. To prepare, Shannon masterfully trains and equips a squad of deadly mercenaries with the latest and most destructive tactics and military hardware. But as their explosive assault begins, Shannon finds himself embroiled in an internal conflict of his own: Will this be his greatest triumph, or has he sold his soul along with his battle expertise?
Tom Berenger (Platoon, Last Rites, Major League), Paul Freeman (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Sender, The Final Option), Hugh Millais (Images, The Wicked Lady), JoBeth Williams (Poltergeist, Teachers, American Dreamers), and Colin Blakely (Equus, Nijinsky, The Big Sleep) co-star in this explosive action film, skillfully directed by John Irvin (Hamburger Hill, Next of Kin, Raw Deal) and beautifully filmed by award-winning D.P. Jack Cardiff (The African Queen, Dark of the Sun, The Awakening). Deal). Now see this film from a brand new 2K master!
- High Definition Blu-ray 1080p Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1)
- New 2020 2K scans of BOTH the US Theatrical and International cuts
- Interviews With Co-Stars Paul Freeman and Maggie Scott, Co-Writer George Malko, First Assistant Director Anthony Waye, Production Designer Peter Mullins and Costume Designer Emma Porteous
- DTS-HD Master Audio
- English Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- LImited Editon Slipcover (while supplies last)
- Reversible Sleeve
- Special editoin includes BOTH the US Theatrical (104 Minutes, Rated R) and International (118 Minutes, Not Rated) cuts plus a limited editoin slipover (while supplies last).
- All star cast includes Christopher Walken (Pennies from Heaven, Heaven's Gate, The Deer Hunter), Tom Berenger (Platoon, Last Rites, Major League), and Colin Blakely (Equus, Nijinsky, The Big Sleep).
- Skillfully directed by John Irvin (Hamburger Hill, Next of Kin, Raw Deal) and beautifully filmed by award-winning D.P. Jack Cardiff (The African Queen, Dark of the Sun, The Awakening).
- From Academy Award nominated producers Norman Jewison and Patrick Palmer (Moonstruck, A Solider's Story).
- The Dogs of War is based on Engliish novelist Frederick Forsyth's best-selling book about mercenaries.
'Mr. Walken is unusually convincing in a difficult, hermetic kind of role.'
—Vincent Canby, New York Times
'The Dogs of War is a guilty pleasure.'
—Christopher Null, filmcritic.com
'Walken has rarely delivered such an earthy, physical performance, and his character gives as well as he takes.'
—Matt Brunson, Film Frenzy
Walken is the central reason to watch Dogs Of War. His intensity in this early period of his career could be off-putting, but it fits Shannon like a glove, his glazed stare and choppy line readings suggesting a person who knows life is cheap and words cheaper still.
Sourced from a fresh 2K interpositive scan (so says the marketing blurb), Scorpion Releasing does generally fine work on this print.