- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: SR6690
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 618952711433
- Street Date: 09/13/22
- PreBook Date: 08/09/22
- Label: Ronin Flix »
- Genre: Sci Fi/Fantasy
- Run Time: 125 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: 5.1 SURROUND
- Year of Production: 1975
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: US,CA
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- James Cann as Jonathan E.
- John Houseman as Bartholomew
- Maud Adams as Ella
- John Beck as Moonpie
- Moses Gunn as Cletus
- Pamela Hensley as Mackie
- Barbara Trentham as Daphne
- Ralph Richardson as Librarian
- Director: Norman Jewison
In a world where ruthless corporations reign supreme, Rollerball is the only outlet for the pent-up anger and frustrations of the masses.
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 634
You must login to place orders.
The year is 2018. There are no wars. There is no crime. There is only....the Game. In a world where ruthless corporations reign supreme, this vicious and barbaric "sport" is the only outlet for the pent-up anger and frustrations of the masses. Tuned to their televisions, the people watch "Rollerball": a brutal mutation of football, motocross and hockey. Jonathan E. (James Caan; The Killer Elite, The Godfather, Misery, Freebie and the Bean) is the champion player - a man too talented for his own good. The Corporation has taken away the woman Jonathan loves, but they can't take away his soul - even if the diabolical corporate head (John Houseman; Three Days of the Condor, The Paper Chase, The Fog) tells him he better retire.... or suffer the old-fashioned way. Also starring John Beck (Audrey Rose, The Other Side of Midnight), Maud Adams (Killer Force, Octopussy, Tattoo), Moses Gunn (Ragtime, Shaft), Shane Rimmer (The People that Time Forgot, The Human Factor), and directed by Norman Jewison (The Thomas Crown Affair, In the Heat of the Night, Jesus Christ Superstar). With its surrealistic imagery and tense action sequences, Rollerball grips you by the heart - and never lets you go. Now watch this cult classic from a 4K scan!
- High Definition Blu-ray 1080p Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1)
- Brand new 2021 4K scan
- DTS-HD Master 5.1 Surrond and 2.0 Stereo Audio
- English Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Audio Commentary with director Norman Jewison
- Audio Commentary with writer William Harrison
- From Rome to Rollerball Featurette
- Blood Sports: An interview with James Caan
- Interview with stuntman Bob Minor
- Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots
- Rollerball won the Saturn Award for Best Science-Fiction Film in 1974/75.
- Rollerball was notorious in it's time for it's violence and, recognizing their contribution to the film's many crucial action sequences, Rollerball was the first major Hollywood production to give screen credit to its stunt performers.
- Rollerball exists in a dystopian world where corporations reign supreme and all individualism is lost ala Hunger Games.
- This movie inspired the short-lived TNN sports show RollerJam (1999).
Jewison's extreme-sports future shock bundles together a paranoid political thriller, a McLuhan-drunk media satire, ultraviolent exploitation, reverent respect for faddish athletic pursuits and enough zoom shots to make Robert Altman blush.
—Eric Hynes, Rolling Stone
Norman Jewison's sensational futuristic drama about a world of Corporate States stars James Caan in an excellent performance as a famed athlete who fights for his identity and free will.
The signs are still there, and if anything, they're more pronounced than they were in 1975. Rollerball is first and foremost, a good movie. It has strong characters, a good plot, and lots of action. It is also a social commentary.
—Rick Sanchez, IGN Movies
Rollerball is a very smart, very thrilling social commentary which frames the class struggles in terms that date back to ancient Rome.
—DILLON GONZALES, Geek Vibes Nation