- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV477
- Format: 4K Ultra HD
- UPC: 760137114871
- Street Date: 12/13/22
- PreBook Date: 11/08/22
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Sci Fi/Fantasy
- Run Time: 90 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1972
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot:
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Bruce Dern
- Actor: Cliff Potts
- Actor: Ron Rifkin
- Actor: Jesse Vint
- Actor: Roy Engel
- Actor: Joseph Campanella
- Director: Douglas Trumbull
- Director: Douglas Trumbull
Silent Running UHD
In a future where all flora is extinct on Earth, an astronaut is ordered to destroy the last of Earth's botany, in a greenhouse aboard a spacecraft.
- List Price: $49.95
- Your Price: $49.95
- In Stock: 822
You must login to place orders.
In 1968, visual effects pioneer Douglas Trumbull (The Andromeda Strain, Close Encounters of the Third Kind) contributed to the ground-breaking special photographic effects of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Four years later, he stamped his own indelible mark on the science fiction genre with his mesmerizing directorial debut - Silent Running. In the not-so-distant future, Earth is barren of all flora and fauna, with what remains of the planet's former ecosystems preserved aboard a fleet of greenhouses orbiting in space. When the crews are ordered to destroy the remaining specimens, one botanist, Freeman Lowell (Bruce Dern, The 'Burbs), rebels and flees towards Saturn in a desperate bid to preserve his own little piece of Earth that was, accompanied only by the ship's three service robots. Featuring a captivating central performance by Dern, visual effects that rival anything in 2001 and a powerful ecological message, Silent Running is a haunting and prescient sci-fi classic that resonates even more strongly today than it did at the time of its original release.
- Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films from the original camera negative
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original lossless mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by critics Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw
- Original audio commentary by Douglas Trumbull and actor Bruce Dern
- Isolated music and effects track
- No Turning Back – an interview with film music historian Jeff Bond on the film’s score
- First Run – a visual essay by writer and filmmaker Jon Spira exploring the evolution of Silent Running’s screenplay
- The Making of Silent Running – an archival 1972 on-set documentary
- Silent Running by Douglas Trumbull and Douglas Trumbull: Then and Now – two archival interviews with the film’s director
- A Conversation with Bruce Dern – an archival interview with the film’s lead actor
- Theatrical trailer
- Extensive behind-the-scenes gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Arik Roper
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Barry Forshaw and Peter Tonguette
- Referenced in Iron Man 2, Ready Player One, WALL-E, Battlestar Galactica, and Metal Gear Solid
- Influenced Star Wars
- Predicted modern climate change concerns
- Ranked in many top ten sci-fi lists
Four Stars (out of Four)... [Bruce] Dern is a very good, subtle actor.
—Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
A solid and well-disciplined first film. The spaceries really are impressive and the movie is an ingenious family entertainment which offers something to think about.
—Los Angeles Times
Just because Silent Running was a product of its time doesn't mean it doesn't have something to say to us these days, as well. The film offers a handsome production design, and Bruce Dern gives one of his most memorable performances. Recommended.
Arrow Video certainly ups the ante here, giving us a presentation of Silent Running that's been given careful attention. With a quality transfer and extras, it's definitely the kind of treatment that a film of its calibre deserves. Highly recommended.
—The Digital Bits
Trumbull's sci-fi fable is both an exploration of environmental issues and the effects of isolation on human beings. [Arrow Video's Silent Running] looks superb.
[Douglas Trumbull's 1972 sci-fi film] is a space saga in which you can plainly see the origins of 'Star Wars,' 'Alien,' and 'Moon' - and most directly, 'Mystery Science Theater 3000,' The effects remain stunning, even after all these years.
The clarity especially during the VFX scenes is astounding giving us a window into the various techniques Trumbull used to achieve the work he did here.
—ADAM KAUTZER, The Movie Isle
Some movies approach topics with heavy hands; Silent Running, then, uses a rock crusher.
—MATT PAPROCKI, DoBlu.com
An impactful sci-fi classic that has far-reaching influences, Silent Running is looking and sounding better than ever in this new restoration and comes highly recommended.
—BRANDON A. DUHAMEL, Theater Byte
Visually the film is stunning.
—JOE COREY, Inside Pulse
Bruce Dern gives one of his most memorable performances as the wonderfully named Freeman Lowell.
—JEFFREY KAUFFMAN, Blu-ray.com
Arrow’s brand-new 4K restoration from the original negative and looks just as terrific as you might expect.
—GREG WALTON, Movieline Online
both moving and affecting all these years later.
—ROGER BATTY, Musique Machine
Silent Running is an excellent film, and one with a strong cult following.
—Paul Lewis, DVD Compare