- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV282
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137358084
- Street Date: 04/14/20
- PreBook Date: 03/10/20
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Comedy
- Run Time: 93 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1984
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 0
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Molly Ringwald
- Justin Henry
- Michael Schoeffling
- Director: John Hughes
- Producer: Hilton A. Green
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 117
You must login to place orders.
In his debut film as writer-director, John Hughes immediately cemented himself as the king of teen cinema with Sixteen Candles, and in the process also introduced one of the most iconic faces of '80s Americana: Molly Ringwald. For high schooler Samantha Baker (Molly Ringwald), her 16th birthday might be the worst day of her life. Her entire family has forgotten about it due to her older sister's impending wedding; her biggest crush, high school hunk Jake Ryan (Michael Schoeffling) has discovered an embarrassing "sex quiz" filled out by Sam in which she details how she is saving herself for him; and to make matters worse, she is hounded by a relentless nerd (Anthony Michael Hall) who won't take no for an answer. But Sam's sweet sixteen isn't over yet, and before the end of the night, all her birthday wishes could still come true... Taking the rude and crude humor of the teen sex comedies that came before it and placing it within the intimately portrayed perspective of a girl's mid-teenage-life crisis, Sixteen Candles is a bombshell of 80s pop culture that continues to be debated and beloved over three decades after its release.
- New restoration by Arrow Films from a 4K scan of the original negative
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation of the Theatrical Version of the film (92 mins), plus Blu-ray™ premiere Extended Version (94 mins), featuring the additional 'cafeteria' scene newly remastered in high definition
- Original lossless mono audio, plus 5.1 DTS-HD MA surround option
- Original English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Alternate 'home video' soundtrack prepared for VHS and laserdisc releases
- Option to watch additional scene from the Extended Version separately
- Casting 'Sixteen Candles', an all-new audio interview with casting director Jackie Burch
- When Gedde Met Deborah, a newly filmed conversation between actors Gedde Watanabe and Deborah Pollack
- Rudy the Bohunk, a newly filmed interview with supporting actor John Kapelos
- The In-Between, a newly filmed interview with camera operator Gary Kibbe
- The New Wave Nerd, a newly filmed interview with filmmaker Adam Rifkin, who shadowed John Hughes while working as an extra on set
- Music for Geeks, a newly filmed interview with composer Ira Newborn
- A Very Eighties Fairytale, an all-new video essay written and narrated by writer Soraya Roberts, looking at the film from a contemporary feminist perspective
- Celebrating Sixteen Candles, an archive documentary featuring interviews with cast, crew and admirers, including stars Anthony Michael Hall, Paul Dooley, Justin Henry, Haviland Morris and Gedde Watanabe
- Theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
- Image galleries
- BD-ROM: PDF of the original shooting script
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing on the film by Nikki Baughan and Bryan Reesman
This is a wonderful valentine of a movie, filled with heartwarming performances and some bittersweet truths about those awkward teen years. Arrow has once again provided a release with superior technical merits and some very appealing supplements. Highly recommended.
Arrow Video's Blu-ray release of Sixteen Candles does a fine job presenting the film in the best possible way, with a quality A/V presentation, multiple versions of the film, and a nice of bevy of bonus materials, including the film's marketing package. All in all, it's the finest version of the film on home video to date. Highly recommended.
—The Digital Bits
If you're a true Hughesian, or love classic teen cinema, then this release should obviously fill a good spot in your collection.
Sixteen Candles is not only one of the greatest comedies of the 1980's, it's a perfect coming-of-age story that despite some artifacts of the time it was produced in, still stands the test of time!
—Pop Culture Retrorama
A bombshell of 80s pop culture that continues to be debated and beloved over three decades after its release.