- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: Blu-ray
- SKU: MVD6497BR
- UPC: 760137649793
- Street Date: 11/04/14
- PreBook Date: 09/30/14
- Label: Public Art »
- Genre: Documentary
- Run Time: 60 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: 5.1 SURROUND
- Year of Production: 1983
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: WORLD
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Director: TONY SILVER
- Producer: HENRY CHALFANT AND TONY SILVER
- Director: TONY SILVER
- Producers: HENRY CHALFANT AND TONY SILVER
Blu-ray release of the classic hip-hop documentary.
- List Price: $19.95
- Your Price: $19.95
- In Stock: 410
You must login to place orders.
When director Tony Silver and co-producer Henry Chalfant delivered the broadcast version of their prize-winning film to PBS in 1983, the world received its first full immersion in the phenomenon that had taken over New York City. The urban landscape was physically transformed by graffiti artists who invented a new visual language to express both their individuality, and the voice of their community. In STYLE WARS, New York's ramshackle subway system is their public playground, battleground, and spectacular artistic canvas. As MC's, DJ's and B-boys rock the city with new sounds and new moves, we see street corner breakdance battles turn into performance art.
- The Outtakes: A brand new 40 min film. With the help of donors and fans from Kickstarter we sorted through almost 30 hours of left over materials to bring you hidden gems and fascinating moments never before seen. Also transferred to HD from the original
- B-Boy Showcase: A montage of fast paced phenomenally acrobatic gems. The Rocksteady Crew at their tour launch party, in the studio, on the streets, and battling it out against Dynamic Rockers at the United Skates of America in Queens.
- Style Wars In The Cutting Room: In the summer of '83 a camera crew visited Valkhn Films, an editing house where Style Wars was being painstakingly sliced together. This is a rare glimpse at the process of telling a real story as it's happening
- Features in Esquire, Monster Fresh, and more
- Clip premieres on Rolling Stone, VICE Magazine, and The Source
- Interviews on several Sirius XM Hip Hop shows including Sway In the Morning, The All Out Show, DJ Kay Slay, Ed Lover 'Live', and DJ Premier
Tony Silver's 1983 documentary Style Wars portrays decades of social inequities and American art and culture through the prism of hip-hop.
—The Chronicle of Higher Education
Anybody who wants to understand what hip hop is all about needs to see a movie called Style Wars.
A breakthrough documentary.
—A.O. Scott, The New York Times
The Holy Grail of hip-hop movies.
Hip hop's Rosetta Stone.
Style Wars--in all its restored beauty--illuminates the color scheme of the bombs and highlights the brilliancy of street art in all its evolving glory.
—S.Edward.Sousa, Cinema Sentries
The people behind this set took their time in crafting a package with extreme care... Rarely do the bonus features provide this much context and help to tell their own story.