- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV449
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137106333
- Street Date: 07/19/22
- PreBook Date: 06/14/22
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Mystery/Thriller
- Run Time: 97 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 2021
- Region Code: 0
- Box Lot:
- Territory: US
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Henry Czerny
- Mimi Kuzyk
- Kate Corbett
- Nigel Bennett
- Mayko Nguyen
- Director: Mark O'Brien
A burdened man feels the wrath of a vengeful God after he and his wife are visited by a mysterious stranger.
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 2222
You must login to place orders.
A brooding occult horror with echoes of Bergman and Pasolini, The Righteous insinuates its way beneath the skin by way of an intelligent script, taut direction, and strong performances. Writer and actor Mark O'Brien (Ready or Not) pulls no punches as he confronts grief, guilt, faith and atonement in his remarkable directorial debut. A former priest, Frederic Mason (Henry Czerny), anguished by the tragic death of his young daughter, finds himself wrestling with his religious convictions when a mysterious young man (Mark O'Brien) appears wounded on his doorstop in need of assistance. After he and his wife Ethel (Mimi Kuzyk) welcome him across the threshold and into their household, Frederic sees an opportunity for redemption in this mysterious and troubled lost soul, who might just be an emissary from God, or maybe the Devil... Set amongst the bleak and forbidding landscapes of Newfoundland, crisply captured in tenebrous monochrome by cinematographer Scott McClellan, and featuring robust performances from all its cast members, The Righteous is a sombre supernatural chiller that builds to a memorable crescendo, and signals the emergence of a major new filmmaking talent.
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
- Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by writer, director and actor Mark O'Brien and editor Spencer Jones
- Cast and crew interviews with writer/director/actor Mark O'Brien, producer Mark O'Neill, actors Henry Czerny, Mimi Kuzyk, and Kate Corbett, editor Spencer Jones, cinematographer Scott McClellan, and production designer Jason Clarke
- Roundtable discussion with Mark O'Brien and Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett and Chad Villella of Radio Silence
- Stage Presentation and Q&A with Mark O'Brien and Henry Czerny from the World Premier at Fantasia International Film Festival 2021
- Grimmfest 2021 live-streamed Q&A with Mark O'Brien
- Original soundtrack
- Image gallery, accompanied by the film's original score by Andrew Staniland
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Grant Boland and Oink Creative
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Sean Hogan
- Folk Horror is a very popular subgenre since the successes of THE WITCH & MIDSOMMAR
- 5 Wins and 11 more Nominations from 7 International Film Festivals
- Brand New Horror/Noir for fans of NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and NIGHTMARE ALLEY
- Suspenseful directorial debut from ARRIVAL's Mark O'Brien
[The Righteous] displays an ambitious leader of performances and someone with ideas that continue the conversations from Bergman's best.
A slow-burn horror with a touch of the supernatural, Mark O'Brien's The Righteous is an assured, haunting feature directorial debut.
—Christopher Cross, Tilt Magazine
packs a philosophical punch and has an arresting character-driven narrative. This is religious horror done right, thanks in large part to the strong cast who handles the heft of the dialogue so well.
...emotionally powerful storytelling.
—Nathaniel Muir, AIPT
Mark O’Brien’s debut feature is more meditative than scary but is electrified by subtle performances, including his own
—Leslie Felperin, The Guardian
...a refreshing throwback to arthouse fare of the ‘60s.
The Righteous makes its way to Blu-ray via an excellent release from Arrow Video that comes with a solid audio/video presentation and a wealth of extras, recommended.
—Michael Den Boer, 10k Bullets
The Righteous is a somber supernatural chiller that builds to a memorable crescendo and signals the emergence of a major new filmmaking talent.
—Joe Corey, Inside Pulse
Despite its small budget, The Righteous boasts impressive production values
—Dennis Seuling, The Digital Bits