- An MVD Exclusive
- SKU: AV171
- Format: Blu-ray
- UPC: 760137184287
- Street Date: 10/30/18
- PreBook Date: 09/25/18
- Label: Arrow Video »
- Genre: Horror
- Run Time: 94 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: STEREO
- Year of Production: 1973
- Region Code: 1
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: US
- Language: Italian
Cast & Crew
- Suzy Kendall
- Tina Aumont
- Luc Merenda
- Director: Sergio Martino
- List Price: $39.95
- Your Price: $39.95
- In Stock: 163
You must login to place orders.
A talented and versatile journeyman, director Sergio Martino (The Case of the Scorpion's Tail, Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key) has lent his talents to multiple genres across his long and varied career, but it is undoubtedly his giallo thrillers from the early 70s for which he is best known. Among the most highly acclaimed of these, 1973's Torso revels in the genre's time-honored traditions while simultaneously laying the groundwork for the modern slasher movie. A sex maniac is prowling the streets of Perugia, targeting picturesque university town's female students. Alarmed at plummeting life expectancy of the student body, Jane (Suzy Kendall, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage) and her three friends elope to a secluded country villa - only to discover that, far from having left the terror behind, they've brought it with them! Also known as Carnal Violence, Torso was released in Italy towards the end of the giallo boom before enjoying a second life on the American grindhouse circuit. Co-starring Tina Aumont (Salon Kitty) and Luc Merenda (The Violent Professionals), the film finds its director at the top of his game, delivering copious levels of violence, sleaze and one of the tensest cat-and-mouse games ever committed to celluloid!
- New audio commentary by Kat Ellinger, author of All the Colours of Sergio Martino
- New video interview with co-writer/director Sergio Martino
- New video interview with actor Luc Merenda
- New video interview with co-writer Ernesto Gastaldi
- New video interview with filmmaker Federica Martino, daughter of Sergio Martino
- New video interview with Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film
- 2017 Abertoir International Horror Festival Q&A with Sergio Martino
- Italian and English theatrical trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Adam Rabalais
- * The English audio track on the original, longer cut has some portions of English audio missing. English audio for these sections was either never recorded or has been lost. As such, these sequences are presented with Italian audio, subtitled in English.
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Adrian Smith and Howard Hughes
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Original lossless Italian and English mono soundtracks*
- Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of both versions of the film: the 94-minute Italian and 90-minute English cuts
Torso is not just a fun mystery, but a kind of interesting deconstruction of vaunted gialli 'norms'. Arrow's release is the clear winner in technical merits, and as usual they've assembled a fantastic assortment of supplements. Recommended.
Another in a long line of brilliant giallo releases. It's got a pretty tawdry reputation, but Torso is an absolutely killer horror movie.
Highly recommended to giallo and slasher fans alike!
—The Digital Bits
Torso fulfills every basic genre requirement to qualify as a giallo, but it also meets nearly every slasher prerequisite
—Gabe Powers, Genre Grinder